Saturday, July 12, 2008

Bitter Sweet

First things first.. it is 6:30 am I am up and enjoying the birds twitter outside my window. For many of you this is something you enjoy on a regular basis, for me however it is a rare thing indeed. I am usually up at the other end of the clock watching the raccoons scurry past our windows. It is a beautiful day.... bright, sunny full of expectation.

The perfect sort of day to lift the sadness in my heart. For today at 5:30 we will close the doors to Remember Me. It is bitter sweet, I know it is the right thing to do, I have to take care of my health for sure, but right is not always easy. This is not easy there are so many memories. When we first opened our doors in October of 1997 we were in a small room (14 x 12) we had a die cut machine with 20 dies, one rack of stickers, some cardstock and a rack of printed paper ALL 8.5 x 11 - it was June 1998 that we renovated the Ortho Active warehouse and office space and built the "NEW" store (currently our paper room), then about 6 months after that built a wall in the office to create what is the main part of our store. The "paper room" was then the workshop and die cut center. The last renovation created the Scraploft with seating for 40 and loads of room to spread out. Today will mark another mile stone.... a locked door.

I have poured my heart and soul into this for 11 years.... Mary and I met in the summer of 1997 and opened in October. It has been our baby - so many memories, so many WONDERFUL people, friendships forged, babies born, weddings celebrated, deaths mourned, laughs shared. I have loved being part of your lives.

There is something about sitting down with a bunch of women and stacks of photos that just begs for stories to be told, I have heard some amazing stories. I have traveled with you to all corners of the world, thank you for trusting me as you opened your heart and shared your stories. Continue on.... continue creating, continue recording and sharing your memories - it is your gift to give.

I will continue to post, and maybe even share some of my own layouts, more of my own story. This is not the end, it is just a fork in the road. The building is not going anywhere, the space is still available so if you have a private function & you are looking for space give us a call. We will be making the die cut machines and dies available in the future, in the mean time if you are in the area and in dire need of the die cut machines... drop by from 7 am to 3 pm Mon - Friday come to Ortho Active (right next door to RM) and we will make it happen.

This is not good bye, just a see you later!
Sure it is sad, but on the other hand change can be a good thing, it makes us reflect and re-evaluate, take stock and make life better. So that is what we are doing, closing, re-evaluating and creating something new.

So thank you from the bottom of my heart, for the support, the memories and the fun - It will never be forgotten! It has been special and inspiring.
Keep creating!
Love Di

No comments: